At the front of the property as you enter the Courtyard, there are two semi-detached cottages. They are 2 different sizes, the largest being called Derwent, the other Dove.
Historically, the Cottages are unlikely to have been used as dwellings because:
they have no fireplaces and so were unheated;
the elevations facing away from the road and the courtyard have shuttered openings of the type normally found in agricultural buildings;
the first floor windows have mostly been blocked - probably to save Window Tax;
This suggests that the buildings were designed and used for storage and farming activities. The various hooks and brackets on the walls of the Cottages show that they have been used as tack rooms for many years. The room to the front of the Derwent looks like a purpose-built double garage, but probably originated as a cart shed. There was evidently an extension on this side of the main building by 1849 when the tithe map was made.
Derwent is to be converted into a 3 bedroom property with capacity to accommodate 6 people, whilst Dove will have 2 bedrooms ideal for a family or 2 couples sharing.